From EatingWell: July/August 1995
These pretty streusel-topped bars are quick to make and easy to transport. Made with unsweetened apricot preserves, they are a good source of potassium and beta carotene.
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons apple or cranberry juice
- 1 10-ounce jar apricot preserves, preferably “all-fruit” (1 scant cup)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Work together oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda with your fingertips in a large bowl until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Drizzle oil and fruit juice over the oats and mix in with your fingertips until evenly moistened and crumbly.
- Set aside 1/2 cup for the topping; press the remainder evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spread apricot preserves over the top. Sprinkle with the reserved oat topping.
- Bake until golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the baking dish on a rack. Cut into 15 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Per bar: 164 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 48 mg sodium; 12 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- July/August 1995