A double hit of apricot nectar and dried apricots flavor this quick bread.
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped dried apricots, divided
- 1/4 cup apricot nectar, or apple juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil, or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, or walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup apricots and nectar (or juice) in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Transfer the apricots and their liquid to a food processor and process until a chunky puree forms. (You should have about 1/2 cup puree.)
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, egg whites, sugar, yogurt, oil, lemon zest, vanilla and the apricot puree in another large bowl. Stir the apricot mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in raisins, hazelnuts and the remaining 1 cup chopped apricots. (The batter will be thick.) Turn the batter out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Loosen the edges and invert the loaf onto a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 208 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 281 mg sodium; 255 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique