A double hit of apricot nectar and dried apricots flavor this quick bread.
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped dried apricots, divided
- 1/4 cup apricot nectar, or apple juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil, or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, or walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup apricots and nectar (or juice) in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Transfer the apricots and their liquid to a food processor and process until a chunky puree forms. (You should have about 1/2 cup puree.)
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, egg whites, sugar, yogurt, oil, lemon zest, vanilla and the apricot puree in another large bowl. Stir the apricot mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in raisins, hazelnuts and the remaining 1 cup chopped apricots. (The batter will be thick.) Turn the batter out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Loosen the edges and invert the loaf onto a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 208 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 281 mg sodium; 255 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation