A double hit of apricot nectar and dried apricots flavor this quick bread.
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped dried apricots, divided
- 1/4 cup apricot nectar, or apple juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil, or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, or walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup apricots and nectar (or juice) in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Transfer the apricots and their liquid to a food processor and process until a chunky puree forms. (You should have about 1/2 cup puree.)
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, egg whites, sugar, yogurt, oil, lemon zest, vanilla and the apricot puree in another large bowl. Stir the apricot mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in raisins, hazelnuts and the remaining 1 cup chopped apricots. (The batter will be thick.) Turn the batter out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Loosen the edges and invert the loaf onto a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 208 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 281 mg sodium; 255 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique