A double hit of apricot nectar and dried apricots flavor this quick bread.
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped dried apricots, divided
- 1/4 cup apricot nectar, or apple juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil, or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, or walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup apricots and nectar (or juice) in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Transfer the apricots and their liquid to a food processor and process until a chunky puree forms. (You should have about 1/2 cup puree.)
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, egg whites, sugar, yogurt, oil, lemon zest, vanilla and the apricot puree in another large bowl. Stir the apricot mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in raisins, hazelnuts and the remaining 1 cup chopped apricots. (The batter will be thick.) Turn the batter out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Loosen the edges and invert the loaf onto a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 208 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 4 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 281 mg sodium; 255 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique