From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Bite into an Apricot Jewel and discover a rum-soaked cherry in the middle.
- 60 dried tart cherries, (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum, or apricot brandy
- 1 pound dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar, such as crystal or sanding sugar
- Combine dried cherries and rum (or brandy) in a small saucepan. Gently warm over very low heat, swirling the liquid in the pan. Remove from the heat, cover and let the cherries plump for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile pulse apricots in a food processor until finely chopped. (Alternatively, put apricots through the medium blade of a meat grinder.) Transfer the apricots to a large mixing bowl and stir in lemon zest and enough honey to make a mixture that holds together. (The mixture should not be too wet.)
- Shape the apricot paste into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Insert 2 plumped cherries in the center of each ball and reroll into a ball. Spread sugar in a shallow dish and coat each ball completely in sugar. Set the balls on a wire rack and leave to dry overnight. Place the balls in paper candy cups.
Per serving: 66 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 190 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1993