From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Bite into an Apricot Jewel and discover a rum-soaked cherry in the middle.
- 60 dried tart cherries, (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum, or apricot brandy
- 1 pound dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar, such as crystal or sanding sugar
- Combine dried cherries and rum (or brandy) in a small saucepan. Gently warm over very low heat, swirling the liquid in the pan. Remove from the heat, cover and let the cherries plump for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile pulse apricots in a food processor until finely chopped. (Alternatively, put apricots through the medium blade of a meat grinder.) Transfer the apricots to a large mixing bowl and stir in lemon zest and enough honey to make a mixture that holds together. (The mixture should not be too wet.)
- Shape the apricot paste into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Insert 2 plumped cherries in the center of each ball and reroll into a ball. Spread sugar in a shallow dish and coat each ball completely in sugar. Set the balls on a wire rack and leave to dry overnight. Place the balls in paper candy cups.
Per serving: 66 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 190 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1993