From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Bite into an Apricot Jewel and discover a rum-soaked cherry in the middle.
- 60 dried tart cherries, (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum, or apricot brandy
- 1 pound dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar, such as crystal or sanding sugar
- Combine dried cherries and rum (or brandy) in a small saucepan. Gently warm over very low heat, swirling the liquid in the pan. Remove from the heat, cover and let the cherries plump for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile pulse apricots in a food processor until finely chopped. (Alternatively, put apricots through the medium blade of a meat grinder.) Transfer the apricots to a large mixing bowl and stir in lemon zest and enough honey to make a mixture that holds together. (The mixture should not be too wet.)
- Shape the apricot paste into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Insert 2 plumped cherries in the center of each ball and reroll into a ball. Spread sugar in a shallow dish and coat each ball completely in sugar. Set the balls on a wire rack and leave to dry overnight. Place the balls in paper candy cups.
Per serving: 66 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 11 mg sodium; 190 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1993