Apricot-Chile Glazed Salmon
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This healthy apricot-chile glazed salmon recipe marries fruit and chiles to make this easy grilled salmon mouthwateringly special. Use jam rather than preserves for a smoother, prettier glaze. Look for New Mexico chili powder in well-stocked supermarkets or online at Amazon.com, or substitute your favorite red chili powder.
- 2 tablespoons New Mexico red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds center-cut wild salmon (see Tip), skinned
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- Preheat grill to medium-high. (No grill? See Oven Variation, below.)
- Combine chili powder and salt in a small bowl. Rub onto both sides of salmon.
- Place jam in a small saucepan; heat over medium heat, stirring, until melted.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the salmon 4 minutes, then turn it over. Using a pastry brush, coat the top of the salmon with the jam. Close the grill; cook until the salmon easily flakes with a fork, 3 to 5 minutes more. To serve, cut into 4 portions.
Tips & Notes
- 1. Wild-caught salmon from the Pacific (Alaska and Washington) is considered the best choice for the environment because it is more sustainably fished and has a more stable population. Farmed salmon, including Atlantic, should be avoided, as it endangers the wild salmon population.
- 2. Oven Variation: Prepare through Step 3. Bake in a shallow baking pan at 350°F, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 215 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 433 mg sodium; 613 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (29% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), omega-3s
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrates, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013