Apricot-Chile Glazed Salmon
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This healthy apricot-chile glazed salmon recipe marries fruit and chiles to make this easy grilled salmon mouthwateringly special. Use jam rather than preserves for a smoother, prettier glaze. Look for New Mexico chili powder in well-stocked supermarkets or online at Amazon.com, or substitute your favorite red chili powder.
- 2 tablespoons New Mexico red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds center-cut wild salmon (see Tip), skinned
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- Preheat grill to medium-high. (No grill? See Oven Variation, below.)
- Combine chili powder and salt in a small bowl. Rub onto both sides of salmon.
- Place jam in a small saucepan; heat over medium heat, stirring, until melted.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the salmon 4 minutes, then turn it over. Using a pastry brush, coat the top of the salmon with the jam. Close the grill; cook until the salmon easily flakes with a fork, 3 to 5 minutes more. To serve, cut into 4 portions.
Tips & Notes
- 1. Wild-caught salmon from the Pacific (Alaska and Washington) is considered the best choice for the environment because it is more sustainably fished and has a more stable population. Farmed salmon, including Atlantic, should be avoided, as it endangers the wild salmon population.
- 2. Oven Variation: Prepare through Step 3. Bake in a shallow baking pan at 350°F, about 15 minutes.
Per serving: 215 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 433 mg sodium; 613 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (29% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), omega-3s
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrates, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013