These easy, tasty applesauce-date muffins are rich in fiber, low in saturated fat and perfectly portable, making them great for breakfast or snack time.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup bran cereal, such as Bran Buds or All-Bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, bran cereal, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Stir in dates and walnuts. Whisk egg, applesauce, brown sugar and oil in another bowl until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. (Do not overmix.) Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 161 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 204 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Selenium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins