These easy, tasty applesauce-date muffins are rich in fiber, low in saturated fat and perfectly portable, making them great for breakfast or snack time.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup bran cereal, such as Bran Buds or All-Bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, bran cereal, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Stir in dates and walnuts. Whisk egg, applesauce, brown sugar and oil in another bowl until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. (Do not overmix.) Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- DIY Muffin Cups: Make your next batch of muffins or cupcakes the ultimate grab-and-go treat by lining your tin with muffin liners. No liners? No problem. Use 5-inch squares of parchment paper, coat each muffin cup with cooking spray, and push each square into the cups using a small can or bottle, pressing the paper up the sides. (It’s OK if some of the paper is sticking out over the rim.) Fill each cup as directed.
Per serving: 161 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 204 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Selenium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins