Apple-Walnut Upside-Down Cake
From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Caramelized apple slices are the perfect complement to the rich walnut cake.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples, (3-4 apples)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup walnut halves, toasted (see Tip)
- 2/3 cup unsifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make apple topping: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with sides at least 2 inches high with cooking spray.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat to medium high and cook, without stirring, until the syrup turns a deep amber color, about 5 minutes. (Swirl the pan if the syrup is coloring unevenly.) Immediately pour the syrup into the prepared cake pan.
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice in a bowl. Evenly press the apples into the warm caramel and set aside.
- To make walnut cake: Combine walnuts, flour, baking powder and salt in a food processor; process until the walnuts are ground to a coarse meal.
- Beat 2 egg whites in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. One tablespoon at a time, beat in 1/3 cup sugar, continuing to beat until the egg whites are stiff and glossy; set aside.
- Beat 2 whole eggs with the remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a separate mixing bowl until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
- Whisk one-fourth of the reserved beaten egg whites into the whole-egg mixture. Sprinkle half of the dry ingredients over the top and fold in gently using a rubber spatula. Fold in the remaining beaten whites, followed by the remaining dry ingredients.
- Spread the batter over the fruit in the pan. Bake until the top springs back when lightly touched and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate, setting any stray apples back in place. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9-inch cake pan with 2-inch high sides
- Tip: To toast walnuts: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 238 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 139 mg sodium; 107 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1996
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)