For a good supply of lunchbox treats, make a double batch of these apple-walnut bars and freeze individual bars wrapped in foil.
- 32 graham cracker squares
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup dried apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, chopped and toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Process graham crackers and cinnamon in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Leaving about 1/2 cup in the workbowl, transfer the crumbs to another container. Add apples to the workbowl and process until coarsely chopped.
- Combine sugar, egg whites, egg, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick, about 3 minutes. Fold in the reserved crumbs, apples and the toasted walnuts just until combined. Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top with a wet rubber spatula. Bake until the top feels dry and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack. Dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar and cut into 15 bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Freeze for longer storage.
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per bar: 148 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 216 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation