For a good supply of lunchbox treats, make a double batch of these apple-walnut bars and freeze individual bars wrapped in foil.
- 32 graham cracker squares
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup dried apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, chopped and toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Process graham crackers and cinnamon in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Leaving about 1/2 cup in the workbowl, transfer the crumbs to another container. Add apples to the workbowl and process until coarsely chopped.
- Combine sugar, egg whites, egg, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick, about 3 minutes. Fold in the reserved crumbs, apples and the toasted walnuts just until combined. Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top with a wet rubber spatula. Bake until the top feels dry and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack. Dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar and cut into 15 bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Freeze for longer storage.
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per bar: 148 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 216 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique