For a good supply of lunchbox treats, make a double batch of these apple-walnut bars and freeze individual bars wrapped in foil.
- 32 graham cracker squares
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup dried apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, chopped and toasted (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Process graham crackers and cinnamon in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Leaving about 1/2 cup in the workbowl, transfer the crumbs to another container. Add apples to the workbowl and process until coarsely chopped.
- Combine sugar, egg whites, egg, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick, about 3 minutes. Fold in the reserved crumbs, apples and the toasted walnuts just until combined. Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish; smooth the top with a wet rubber spatula. Bake until the top feels dry and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack. Dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar and cut into 15 bars.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Freeze for longer storage.
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per bar: 148 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 216 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique