Apple Turkey Picadillo
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
This twist on the Latin American staple is made healthier with lean ground turkey and crisp apples. It doubles well. Try tucking it into whole-wheat tortillas or serve over instant brown rice for a quick and healthy supper.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces 99%-lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 medium tart green apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped green olives
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced scallion greens
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until soft, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add turkey; cook, stirring and breaking up, until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cloves; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in vinegar, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in apple, tomato, olives and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring often, until any liquid in the pan has reduced to a syrupy glaze, about 8 minutes. Stir in scallion greens and serve.
Per serving: 246 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 488 mg sodium; 360 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Iron & Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 4 very lean protein, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2007