From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Update your roast pork or chicken with this apple-tamarind chutney, infused with Indian spices.
- 3 firm tart apples, such as York or Granny Smith, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 2 onions,chopped
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate, or 2 teaspoons molasses mixed with 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seed, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine apples, onions, brown sugar, vinegar, raisins, jalapeños, tamarind concentrate (or molasses with lime juice), ginger, mustard seed, fenugreek seed (if using), salt, cinnamon stick and bay leaf in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and the chutney is thick, about 30 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Remove cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Transfer to clean jars. (Alternatively, pack hot chutney into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace.) Seal with canning lids and process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Store jars in a cool, dry place.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 months.
Per tablespoon: 34 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 25 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1996