From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Update your roast pork or chicken with this apple-tamarind chutney, infused with Indian spices.
- 3 firm tart apples, such as York or Granny Smith, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 2 onions,chopped
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate, or 2 teaspoons molasses mixed with 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seed, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine apples, onions, brown sugar, vinegar, raisins, jalapeños, tamarind concentrate (or molasses with lime juice), ginger, mustard seed, fenugreek seed (if using), salt, cinnamon stick and bay leaf in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and the chutney is thick, about 30 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Remove cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Transfer to clean jars. (Alternatively, pack hot chutney into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace.) Seal with canning lids and process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Store jars in a cool, dry place.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 months.
Per tablespoon: 34 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 25 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- September/October 1996