From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Update your roast pork or chicken with this apple-tamarind chutney, infused with Indian spices.
- 3 firm tart apples, such as York or Granny Smith, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 2 onions,chopped
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate, or 2 teaspoons molasses mixed with 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seed, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine apples, onions, brown sugar, vinegar, raisins, jalapeños, tamarind concentrate (or molasses with lime juice), ginger, mustard seed, fenugreek seed (if using), salt, cinnamon stick and bay leaf in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and the chutney is thick, about 30 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Remove cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Transfer to clean jars. (Alternatively, pack hot chutney into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace.) Seal with canning lids and process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Store jars in a cool, dry place.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 2 months.
Per tablespoon: 34 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 25 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 1996