Apple Swirl Cake
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
This moist apple cake has a sweet and crunchy walnut filling swirled through it and on top.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 3 1/3 cups unsifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated peeled apple
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup fruit puree fat replacement
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch springform tube pan (10-cup capacity) or coat it with cooking spray.
- Stir together walnuts, Grape-Nuts, brown sugar and coffee powder in a small bowl.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl. Combine grated apple, yogurt and oil in a small bowl.
- Beat 1 cup granulated sugar, fruit puree fat replacement and eggs in another mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until thickened and pale, 3 to 5 minutes. Blend in vanilla.
- Add reserved flour mixture and apple mixture alternately to fruit puree mixture, beating at low speed just until blended, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 additions of apple mixture.
- Spoon two-thirds of the batter into prepared pan. Spread into an even layer with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle 1 cup of the reserved walnut mixture in a ring on top of the batter in the pan. Cover with remaining batter and smooth top with the spatula. Add remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to remaining walnut mixture and sprinkle over the top. Bake until the top springs back when lightly touched in the center, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool, right-side up.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 9-inch springform tube pan
Per serving: 359 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 174 mg sodium; 112 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (32% daily value), Iron (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1997