Apple, Parsnip & Potato Puree
From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Sweet apples and earthy parsnips add depth to potato puree.
- 2 sweet fragrant apples, such as McIntosh, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (about 4 potatoes)
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Combine apples, parsnips, potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan. Pour in cold water to cover, add salt and bring to a boil. Partially cover the pan and simmer over medium-low heat until the vegetables are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in sour cream. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 245 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 7 g fiber; 598 mg sodium; 1091 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Potassium (31% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1996