Apple, Parsnip & Potato Puree
From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Sweet apples and earthy parsnips add depth to potato puree.
- 2 sweet fragrant apples, such as McIntosh, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (about 4 potatoes)
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Combine apples, parsnips, potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan. Pour in cold water to cover, add salt and bring to a boil. Partially cover the pan and simmer over medium-low heat until the vegetables are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in sour cream. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 245 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 7 g fiber; 598 mg sodium; 1091 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Potassium (31% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1996