Here we cook fresh apple slices with a touch of maple syrup and a hint of cinnamon, perfect for filling Whole-Wheat Crepes or topping French toast.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 pounds apples (about 8 medium), such as Cortland, Jonathan, McIntosh, Northern Spy or Gravenstein, peeled, cored and sliced (10 cups)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples (the pan will seem quite full, but the apples will cook down considerably) and cook, stirring from time to time, for 5 minutes.
- Add maple syrup and cinnamon; cook, stirring or shaking the pan from time to time, until the apples are tender and the filling has thickened, about 10 minutes longer. Stir in vanilla.
Per serving: 124 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique