Here we cook fresh apple slices with a touch of maple syrup and a hint of cinnamon, perfect for filling Whole-Wheat Crepes or topping French toast.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 pounds apples (about 8 medium), such as Cortland, Jonathan, McIntosh, Northern Spy or Gravenstein, peeled, cored and sliced (10 cups)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples (the pan will seem quite full, but the apples will cook down considerably) and cook, stirring from time to time, for 5 minutes.
- Add maple syrup and cinnamon; cook, stirring or shaking the pan from time to time, until the apples are tender and the filling has thickened, about 10 minutes longer. Stir in vanilla.
Per serving: 124 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)