From EatingWell: Fall 2002
Sweetened with orange juice and brown sugar, this apple chutney gets its heat from hot jalapeno jelly. Try it alongside grilled chicken or pork.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large apples, preferably Granny Smith or Northern Spy, peeled and diced (3 cups)
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hot jalapeno jelly, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bay leaf; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, until softened and translucent, 9 to 10 minutes. Stir in apples and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add brown sugar, jelly, orange juice, vinegar and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then simmer over medium-low heat, stirring, just until the apples are tender and liquid is reduced by one-third, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Let cool. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Ingredient Note: You can find jalapeno jelly in specialty stores and in the jams-and-jellies section or specialty-foods section of large supermarkets.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 97 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 82 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Fall 2002