From EatingWell: Fall 2002
Sweetened with orange juice and brown sugar, this apple chutney gets its heat from hot jalapeno jelly. Try it alongside grilled chicken or pork.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large apples, preferably Granny Smith or Northern Spy, peeled and diced (3 cups)
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hot jalapeno jelly, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bay leaf; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, until softened and translucent, 9 to 10 minutes. Stir in apples and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add brown sugar, jelly, orange juice, vinegar and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then simmer over medium-low heat, stirring, just until the apples are tender and liquid is reduced by one-third, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Let cool. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Ingredient Note: You can find jalapeno jelly in specialty stores and in the jams-and-jellies section or specialty-foods section of large supermarkets.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 97 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 82 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Fall 2002