From EatingWell: Fall 2002
Sweetened with orange juice and brown sugar, this apple chutney gets its heat from hot jalapeno jelly. Try it alongside grilled chicken or pork.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large apples, preferably Granny Smith or Northern Spy, peeled and diced (3 cups)
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hot jalapeno jelly, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bay leaf; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, until softened and translucent, 9 to 10 minutes. Stir in apples and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add brown sugar, jelly, orange juice, vinegar and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then simmer over medium-low heat, stirring, just until the apples are tender and liquid is reduced by one-third, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Let cool. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Ingredient Note: You can find jalapeno jelly in specialty stores and in the jams-and-jellies section or specialty-foods section of large supermarkets.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 97 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 82 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Fall 2002