From EatingWell: Fall 2002
Sweetened with orange juice and brown sugar, this apple chutney gets its heat from hot jalapeno jelly. Try it alongside grilled chicken or pork.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large apples, preferably Granny Smith or Northern Spy, peeled and diced (3 cups)
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hot jalapeno jelly, (see Ingredient note)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bay leaf; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, until softened and translucent, 9 to 10 minutes. Stir in apples and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add brown sugar, jelly, orange juice, vinegar and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then simmer over medium-low heat, stirring, just until the apples are tender and liquid is reduced by one-third, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Let cool. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
- Ingredient Note: You can find jalapeno jelly in specialty stores and in the jams-and-jellies section or specialty-foods section of large supermarkets.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 97 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 82 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Fall 2002