Coriander, cumin and mustard seed give this quick and healthy chicken dish bright Indian flavors.
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Stir together garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and mustard seeds in a small bowl; set aside.
- Toss chicken with flour in a medium bowl until evenly coated. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sauté until well-browned on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil and apple to the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until apples are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the reserved spice mixture. Stir until the apples are tender and the garlic is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and the reserved chicken; increase heat to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened and the chicken is no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with cilantro (or parsley).
Per serving: 174 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 289 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less