Coriander, cumin and mustard seed give this quick and healthy chicken dish bright Indian flavors.
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Stir together garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and mustard seeds in a small bowl; set aside.
- Toss chicken with flour in a medium bowl until evenly coated. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sauté until well-browned on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil and apple to the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until apples are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the reserved spice mixture. Stir until the apples are tender and the garlic is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and the reserved chicken; increase heat to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened and the chicken is no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with cilantro (or parsley).
Per serving: 174 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 289 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry