Coriander, cumin and mustard seed give this quick and healthy chicken dish bright Indian flavors.
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Stir together garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and mustard seeds in a small bowl; set aside.
- Toss chicken with flour in a medium bowl until evenly coated. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sauté until well-browned on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil and apple to the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until apples are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the reserved spice mixture. Stir until the apples are tender and the garlic is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and the reserved chicken; increase heat to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened and the chicken is no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with cilantro (or parsley).
Per serving: 174 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 289 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)