Coriander, cumin and mustard seed give this quick and healthy chicken dish bright Indian flavors.
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Stir together garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and mustard seeds in a small bowl; set aside.
- Toss chicken with flour in a medium bowl until evenly coated. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sauté until well-browned on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil and apple to the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until apples are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the reserved spice mixture. Stir until the apples are tender and the garlic is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and the reserved chicken; increase heat to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened and the chicken is no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with cilantro (or parsley).
Per serving: 174 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 233 mg sodium; 289 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique