Apple & Fennel Salad with Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Apples and blue cheese are a heavenly match in this fennel and apple salad recipe dressed with a tangy cider-vinegar dressing.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large crisp, sweet apple, such as Honeycrisp or Ambrosia, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, quartered and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 6 cups torn butterhead lettuce
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add apple and fennel and toss to coat. Chop 1/4 cup of the fennel fronds and add to the bowl along with lettuce and blue cheese; gently toss.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 174 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 269 mg sodium; 414 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (47% daily value), Folate & Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2012