Apple & Fennel Salad with Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Apples and blue cheese are a heavenly match in this fennel and apple salad recipe dressed with a tangy cider-vinegar dressing.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large crisp, sweet apple, such as Honeycrisp or Ambrosia, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, quartered and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 6 cups torn butterhead lettuce
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add apple and fennel and toss to coat. Chop 1/4 cup of the fennel fronds and add to the bowl along with lettuce and blue cheese; gently toss.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 174 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 269 mg sodium; 414 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (47% daily value), Folate & Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012