Apple & Fennel Salad with Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Apples and blue cheese are a heavenly match in this fennel and apple salad recipe dressed with a tangy cider-vinegar dressing.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large crisp, sweet apple, such as Honeycrisp or Ambrosia, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, quartered and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 6 cups torn butterhead lettuce
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add apple and fennel and toss to coat. Chop 1/4 cup of the fennel fronds and add to the bowl along with lettuce and blue cheese; gently toss.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 174 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 269 mg sodium; 414 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (47% daily value), Folate & Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012