Apple & Fennel Salad with Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Apples and blue cheese are a heavenly match in this fennel and apple salad recipe dressed with a tangy cider-vinegar dressing.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large crisp, sweet apple, such as Honeycrisp or Ambrosia, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, quartered and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 6 cups torn butterhead lettuce
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add apple and fennel and toss to coat. Chop 1/4 cup of the fennel fronds and add to the bowl along with lettuce and blue cheese; gently toss.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 174 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 269 mg sodium; 414 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (47% daily value), Folate & Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012