Apple-&-Fennel Roasted Pork Tenderloin
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Roasted apples, fennel and red onion are the perfect foil to roasted pork tenderloin. Make it a meal: Stir sauteed broccoli rabe into quick-cooking barley to serve alongside.
- 2 large sweet-tart apples, such as Fuji or Braeburn, sliced
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon chopped fronds for garnish
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 475°F.
- Toss apples, sliced fennel and onion with 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast on the lower oven rack, stirring twice, until tender and golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
- About 10 minutes after the apple mixture goes into the oven, sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the pork on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn the pork over and transfer the pan to the top oven rack. Roast until just barely pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Immediately stir vinegar into the pan (be careful, the handle will be hot), scraping up any browned bits, then add to the apple mixture. Thinly slice the pork; serve with the apple mixture and sprinkle with fennel fronds.
Per serving: 258 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 5 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 861 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (47% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2007