Phyllo-Wrapped Apple Dumplings with Apple Cider Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this apple dumpling dessert recipe, apples are sprinkled with raisins, brown sugar and spice then wrapped in lightly buttered phyllo dough before being baked into a gorgeous parcel. For the sauce, apple cider is reduced to create a sensational accompaniment for these crispy apple dumplings.
- 8 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice (see Tip)
- 6 sweet crisp apples, such as Honeycrisp, Macoun or Braeburn
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 24 sheets phyllo dough (9-by-14-inch), thawed per package directions
- To prepare sauce: Bring cider (or juice) to a boil in a large saucepan. Boil, watching carefully and stirring occasionally to keep bubbles down, until reduced to about 2 cups, 30 to 40 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl until smooth; whisk the cornstarch mixture into the boiling syrup. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking frequently, until thickened, 2 to 4 minutes more. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- To prepare dumplings: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine raisins, brown sugar and apple pie spice in a medium bowl. Peel, halve and core apples. Place cut-side up on a clean work surface; spoon a little of the raisin mixture into the center of each apple half. Sprinkle any remaining sugar mix over the apples.
- Combine butter and oil in a small bowl; set aside 2 tablespoons in another small bowl. Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in a third small bowl. Unroll phyllo sheets onto a clean, dry surface, keeping them in a stack. Cover with a piece of wax paper and then a barely damp kitchen towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Lay out one sheet of phyllo on a clean, dry surface. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the sheet with butter mixture from the first bowl, then lightly sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Repeat, layering on 3 more sheets of phyllo; coat and sprinkle the top sheet too. Cut the phyllo stack in half crosswise. Place a stuffed apple half in the middle of each stack. Gather the sides of the phyllo together, pinching the corners, to enclose the apple. Transfer the dumplings to a large rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and apples to make 12 dumplings al together. Brush them with the reserved 2 tablespoons of butter mixture.
- Bake the dumplings until the phyllo is golden brown and crisp, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes. Reheat the sauce, if desired. Serve the dumplings with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare sauce (Step 1) and assemble dumplings (Steps 3-5). Cover and refrigerate separately for up to 1 day; bake the dumplings and reheat the sauce before serving.
Per serving: 373 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 187 mg sodium; 192 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013