Apple-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
From EatingWell: November 1997
Rows of sweet apple slices are topped with tart cranberries in this pretty upside-down cake.
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons Calvados, or apple cider
- 6 teaspoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 5 Zwieback toasts, (1 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Soak cranberries in Calvados (or cider) in a small bowl until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Use 2 teaspoons butter to thickly coat bottom and lightly coat sides of a 9-inch square or 7-by-11-inch baking pan. Spread 1/2 cup brown sugar evenly in bottom of pan. Make 3 rows of apple slices over sugar, overlapping them slightly. Sprinkle with reserved cranberries.
- Melt remaining 4 teaspoons butter. Set aside.
- Finely grind Zwieback in a food processor. Add flour and salt and process until well combined.
- Combine eggs, egg whites, vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. With mixer at low speed, add reserved Zwieback mixture and melted butter, beating until just combined. (Do not overmix.) Spoon over the fruit in prepared pan.
- Bake cake until top is golden and springs back when touched lightly, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
Per serving: 225 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 77 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 107 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November 1997