Apple-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
From EatingWell: November 1997
Rows of sweet apple slices are topped with tart cranberries in this pretty upside-down cake.
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons Calvados, or apple cider
- 6 teaspoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 5 Zwieback toasts, (1 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Soak cranberries in Calvados (or cider) in a small bowl until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Use 2 teaspoons butter to thickly coat bottom and lightly coat sides of a 9-inch square or 7-by-11-inch baking pan. Spread 1/2 cup brown sugar evenly in bottom of pan. Make 3 rows of apple slices over sugar, overlapping them slightly. Sprinkle with reserved cranberries.
- Melt remaining 4 teaspoons butter. Set aside.
- Finely grind Zwieback in a food processor. Add flour and salt and process until well combined.
- Combine eggs, egg whites, vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. With mixer at low speed, add reserved Zwieback mixture and melted butter, beating until just combined. (Do not overmix.) Spoon over the fruit in prepared pan.
- Bake cake until top is golden and springs back when touched lightly, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
Per serving: 225 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 77 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 107 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November 1997