Apple-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
From EatingWell: November 1997
Rows of sweet apple slices are topped with tart cranberries in this pretty upside-down cake.
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons Calvados, or apple cider
- 6 teaspoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 5 Zwieback toasts, (1 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Soak cranberries in Calvados (or cider) in a small bowl until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Use 2 teaspoons butter to thickly coat bottom and lightly coat sides of a 9-inch square or 7-by-11-inch baking pan. Spread 1/2 cup brown sugar evenly in bottom of pan. Make 3 rows of apple slices over sugar, overlapping them slightly. Sprinkle with reserved cranberries.
- Melt remaining 4 teaspoons butter. Set aside.
- Finely grind Zwieback in a food processor. Add flour and salt and process until well combined.
- Combine eggs, egg whites, vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. With mixer at low speed, add reserved Zwieback mixture and melted butter, beating until just combined. (Do not overmix.) Spoon over the fruit in prepared pan.
- Bake cake until top is golden and springs back when touched lightly, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
Per serving: 225 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 77 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 107 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November 1997