Apple-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
From EatingWell: November 1997
Rows of sweet apple slices are topped with tart cranberries in this pretty upside-down cake.
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons Calvados, or apple cider
- 6 teaspoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 5 Zwieback toasts, (1 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Soak cranberries in Calvados (or cider) in a small bowl until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Use 2 teaspoons butter to thickly coat bottom and lightly coat sides of a 9-inch square or 7-by-11-inch baking pan. Spread 1/2 cup brown sugar evenly in bottom of pan. Make 3 rows of apple slices over sugar, overlapping them slightly. Sprinkle with reserved cranberries.
- Melt remaining 4 teaspoons butter. Set aside.
- Finely grind Zwieback in a food processor. Add flour and salt and process until well combined.
- Combine eggs, egg whites, vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. With mixer at low speed, add reserved Zwieback mixture and melted butter, beating until just combined. (Do not overmix.) Spoon over the fruit in prepared pan.
- Bake cake until top is golden and springs back when touched lightly, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
Per serving: 225 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 77 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 107 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November 1997