From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
A fruit crisp offers the luscious flavor of a fresh fruit pie without the fuss of making a crust. Celebrate the arrival of fall with this apple-cranberry crisp. The nut-studded topping works great with other fruit combinations too.
- 1 1/2 pounds apples, peeled and sliced (5 cups)
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish (or similar 1 1/2- to 2-quart dish) with cooking spray.
- To prepare filling, combine apples, cranberries and granulated sugar in a large bowl; toss to coat. Place the filling in the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make topping. Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl with a fork. Add butter and blend with a pastry blender or your fingertips. Add oil and stir to coat. Add orange juice concentrate and blend with your fingertips until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- After 20 minutes, stir the fruit filling and sprinkle the topping evenly over it. Sprinkle with almonds (or walnuts). Bake, uncovered, until the fruit is bubbly and tender and the topping is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 222 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 22 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 23 mg sodium; 201 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- The Simple Art of EatingWell