Apple-Cinnamon Rice Pudding
Whether you're partial to the fragrant maple and apple goodness warm from the oven or prefer it cold and luxuriously creamy, this simple rice pudding is pure comfort. A teakettle makes neat work of the hot water bath.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup short-grain rice, such as arborio
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tart tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add rice and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add 2 cups milk to rice and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. (Discard any skin that forms on the surface.) Remove from the heat.
- Whisk remaining 1 cup milk, egg yolks, maple syrup, brown sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Peel and coarsely shred apples. Place in a small bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Stirring constantly, add about 1 cup hot rice mixture to the egg mixture. Scrape back into remaining rice mixture, stirring constantly. Add raisins and shredded apples.
- Scrape mixture into prepared baking dish. Place dish in a shallow roasting pan and pour enough simmering water into roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake pudding until barely set, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with cinnamon.
Per serving: 221 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 266 mg sodium; 177 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit