Apple-Cinnamon Rice Pudding
Whether you're partial to the fragrant maple and apple goodness warm from the oven or prefer it cold and luxuriously creamy, this simple rice pudding is pure comfort. A teakettle makes neat work of the hot water bath.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup short-grain rice, such as arborio
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tart tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add rice and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add 2 cups milk to rice and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. (Discard any skin that forms on the surface.) Remove from the heat.
- Whisk remaining 1 cup milk, egg yolks, maple syrup, brown sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Peel and coarsely shred apples. Place in a small bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Stirring constantly, add about 1 cup hot rice mixture to the egg mixture. Scrape back into remaining rice mixture, stirring constantly. Add raisins and shredded apples.
- Scrape mixture into prepared baking dish. Place dish in a shallow roasting pan and pour enough simmering water into roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake pudding until barely set, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with cinnamon.
Per serving: 221 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 266 mg sodium; 177 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation