Apple-Cinnamon Rice Pudding
Whether you're partial to the fragrant maple and apple goodness warm from the oven or prefer it cold and luxuriously creamy, this simple rice pudding is pure comfort. A teakettle makes neat work of the hot water bath.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup short-grain rice, such as arborio
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tart tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add rice and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add 2 cups milk to rice and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. (Discard any skin that forms on the surface.) Remove from the heat.
- Whisk remaining 1 cup milk, egg yolks, maple syrup, brown sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Peel and coarsely shred apples. Place in a small bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Stirring constantly, add about 1 cup hot rice mixture to the egg mixture. Scrape back into remaining rice mixture, stirring constantly. Add raisins and shredded apples.
- Scrape mixture into prepared baking dish. Place dish in a shallow roasting pan and pour enough simmering water into roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake pudding until barely set, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with cinnamon.
Per serving: 221 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 266 mg sodium; 177 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique