Apple-Cinnamon Rice Pudding
Whether you're partial to the fragrant maple and apple goodness warm from the oven or prefer it cold and luxuriously creamy, this simple rice pudding is pure comfort. A teakettle makes neat work of the hot water bath.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup short-grain rice, such as arborio
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tart tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add rice and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add 2 cups milk to rice and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. (Discard any skin that forms on the surface.) Remove from the heat.
- Whisk remaining 1 cup milk, egg yolks, maple syrup, brown sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Peel and coarsely shred apples. Place in a small bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Stirring constantly, add about 1 cup hot rice mixture to the egg mixture. Scrape back into remaining rice mixture, stirring constantly. Add raisins and shredded apples.
- Scrape mixture into prepared baking dish. Place dish in a shallow roasting pan and pour enough simmering water into roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake pudding until barely set, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with cinnamon.
Per serving: 221 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 266 mg sodium; 177 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique