Apple Cider Chicken
From EatingWell: March 1998
Fresh apples and apple cider add a fall feel to to this quick chicken sauté. Make it a meal: Serve with sautéed broccoli rabe and quick-cooking barley.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear until well browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add apples, shallots and thyme. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cider and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return chicken and juices to pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a warmed platter. Stir sour cream and parsley into sauce. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over chicken.
Per serving: 216 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (29% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998