Apple Cider Chicken
From EatingWell: March 1998
Fresh apples and apple cider add a fall feel to to this quick chicken sauté. Make it a meal: Serve with sautéed broccoli rabe and quick-cooking barley.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear until well browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add apples, shallots and thyme. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cider and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return chicken and juices to pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a warmed platter. Stir sour cream and parsley into sauce. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over chicken.
Per serving: 216 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (29% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998