Apple Cider Chicken
From EatingWell: March 1998
Fresh apples and apple cider add a fall feel to to this quick chicken sauté. Make it a meal: Serve with sautéed broccoli rabe and quick-cooking barley.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear until well browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add apples, shallots and thyme. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cider and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return chicken and juices to pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a warmed platter. Stir sour cream and parsley into sauce. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over chicken.
Per serving: 216 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (29% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998