Apple Cider Chicken
From EatingWell: March 1998
Fresh apples and apple cider add a fall feel to to this quick chicken sauté. Make it a meal: Serve with sautéed broccoli rabe and quick-cooking barley.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear until well browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add apples, shallots and thyme. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cider and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return chicken and juices to pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a warmed platter. Stir sour cream and parsley into sauce. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over chicken.
Per serving: 216 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (29% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998