Apple Cider Chicken
From EatingWell: March 1998
Fresh apples and apple cider add a fall feel to to this quick chicken sauté. Make it a meal: Serve with sautéed broccoli rabe and quick-cooking barley.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear until well browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add apples, shallots and thyme. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cider and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return chicken and juices to pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a warmed platter. Stir sour cream and parsley into sauce. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over chicken.
Per serving: 216 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (29% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March 1998