Apple, Carrot & Cabbage Chopped Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Orange blossom water adds an exotic citrus essence to the dressing in this spiced carrot and cabbage salad recipe. If you prefer, you can substitute orange juice, which will give you a similar flavor without the delicate perfumed notes. Look for orange blossom water in natural-foods stores and Middle Eastern grocers.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water or orange juice
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups shredded carrots (3-4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 large crisp red apple, chopped
- 1 cup sunflower sprouts
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for serving
- Whisk oil, orange blossom water (or orange juice), vinegar, salt, cinnamon and cumin in a large bowl.
- Add carrots, cabbage, apple, sunflower sprouts, cilantro and sunflower seeds; toss to combine with the dressing. Season with pepper. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Per serving: 124 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 305 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (189% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2014