Apple, Carrot & Cabbage Chopped Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Orange blossom water adds an exotic citrus essence to the dressing in this spiced carrot and cabbage salad recipe. If you prefer, you can substitute orange juice, which will give you a similar flavor without the delicate perfumed notes. Look for orange blossom water in natural-foods stores and Middle Eastern grocers.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water or orange juice
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups shredded carrots (3-4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 large crisp red apple, chopped
- 1 cup sunflower sprouts
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for serving
- Whisk oil, orange blossom water (or orange juice), vinegar, salt, cinnamon and cumin in a large bowl.
- Add carrots, cabbage, apple, sunflower sprouts, cilantro and sunflower seeds; toss to combine with the dressing. Season with pepper. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Per serving: 124 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 305 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (189% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2014