Apple, Carrot & Cabbage Chopped Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Orange blossom water adds an exotic citrus essence to the dressing in this spiced carrot and cabbage salad recipe. If you prefer, you can substitute orange juice, which will give you a similar flavor without the delicate perfumed notes. Look for orange blossom water in natural-foods stores and Middle Eastern grocers.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water or orange juice
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups shredded carrots (3-4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 large crisp red apple, chopped
- 1 cup sunflower sprouts
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Lime wedges for serving
- Whisk oil, orange blossom water (or orange juice), vinegar, salt, cinnamon and cumin in a large bowl.
- Add carrots, cabbage, apple, sunflower sprouts, cilantro and sunflower seeds; toss to combine with the dressing. Season with pepper. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Per serving: 124 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 305 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (189% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2014