Apple Bavarian Torte
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this gorgeous apple torte dessert recipe, whole-wheat flour and almonds make a cookie-like crust that is topped with a lighter cream cheese filling and cinnamon-sugar apples.
- 1 cup white whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups peeled and thinly sliced McIntosh apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To prepare crust: Pulse flour, almonds, sugar and salt in a food processor, using about 10 one-second pulses, until combined. With the motor running, add butter, a few pieces at a time, until combined. Add egg yolk and vanilla and process until evenly combined (the mixture will look like wet sand). Pat the crust into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan and about 1 inch up the sides.
- To prepare filling: Wipe out the food processor. Add egg, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla; process until smooth. Spread into the crust.
- To prepare topping: Toss apples, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl until combined. Spoon over the filling, pressing gently. Top with almonds.
- Bake the torte for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Continue baking until set around the edges and just a bit jiggly in the center, 20 to 25 minutes more.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges, remove the pan sides and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours, before serving.
Per serving: 282 calories; 16 g fat (8 g sat, 6 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 18 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 143 mg sodium; 151 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September/October 2014