Apple Bavarian Torte
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this gorgeous apple torte dessert recipe, whole-wheat flour and almonds make a cookie-like crust that is topped with a lighter cream cheese filling and cinnamon-sugar apples.
- 1 cup white whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups peeled and thinly sliced McIntosh apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To prepare crust: Pulse flour, almonds, sugar and salt in a food processor, using about 10 one-second pulses, until combined. With the motor running, add butter, a few pieces at a time, until combined. Add egg yolk and vanilla and process until evenly combined (the mixture will look like wet sand). Pat the crust into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan and about 1 inch up the sides.
- To prepare filling: Wipe out the food processor. Add egg, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla; process until smooth. Spread into the crust.
- To prepare topping: Toss apples, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl until combined. Spoon over the filling, pressing gently. Top with almonds.
- Bake the torte for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Continue baking until set around the edges and just a bit jiggly in the center, 20 to 25 minutes more.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges, remove the pan sides and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours, before serving.
Per serving: 282 calories; 16 g fat (8 g sat, 6 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 18 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 143 mg sodium; 151 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014