Antipasto of Seared Tuna & Roasted Peppers
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Roasted red peppers, seared tuna and Parmesan cheese join together in this savory antipasto platter.
- 1 12-ounce tuna steak, (about 1 inch thick)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 2 8-ounce jars roasted red peppers, drained (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 2-ounce piece Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/2 loaf of French or Italian bread, thinly sliced
- Caper berries, lemon wedges and lettuce, for garnish
- Sprinkle both sides of tuna steak with 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Lightly oil a large nonstick skillet or coat it with cooking spray. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles; add the tuna and cook until the underside is lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes, then turn and cook just until opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes longer. Remove from the pan and cool to room temperature.
- Shortly before serving, cut the tuna on the bias into 1/4-inch slices. Cut the red peppers into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange tuna and peppers on a serving plate. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then drizzle with the oil and lemon juice. Shave the cheese into thin slices with a vegetable peeler. Scatter the cheese and capers over the tuna and peppers. Serve with the bread alongside. Garnish with caper berries, lemon wedges and lettuce, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The tuna can be cooked (Step 1) up to 8 hours in advance. Cool to room temperature, wrap and refrigerate. Return to room temperature before continuing.
Per serving: 191 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value), source of omega-3 fats
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993