Antipasto of Seared Tuna & Roasted Peppers
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Roasted red peppers, seared tuna and Parmesan cheese join together in this savory antipasto platter.
- 1 12-ounce tuna steak, (about 1 inch thick)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 2 8-ounce jars roasted red peppers, drained (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 2-ounce piece Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/2 loaf of French or Italian bread, thinly sliced
- Caper berries, lemon wedges and lettuce, for garnish
- Sprinkle both sides of tuna steak with 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Lightly oil a large nonstick skillet or coat it with cooking spray. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles; add the tuna and cook until the underside is lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes, then turn and cook just until opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes longer. Remove from the pan and cool to room temperature.
- Shortly before serving, cut the tuna on the bias into 1/4-inch slices. Cut the red peppers into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange tuna and peppers on a serving plate. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then drizzle with the oil and lemon juice. Shave the cheese into thin slices with a vegetable peeler. Scatter the cheese and capers over the tuna and peppers. Serve with the bread alongside. Garnish with caper berries, lemon wedges and lettuce, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The tuna can be cooked (Step 1) up to 8 hours in advance. Cool to room temperature, wrap and refrigerate. Return to room temperature before continuing.
Per serving: 191 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value), source of omega-3 fats
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993