Antipasto of Seared Tuna & Roasted Peppers
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Roasted red peppers, seared tuna and Parmesan cheese join together in this savory antipasto platter.
- 1 12-ounce tuna steak, (about 1 inch thick)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 2 8-ounce jars roasted red peppers, drained (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 2-ounce piece Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/2 loaf of French or Italian bread, thinly sliced
- Caper berries, lemon wedges and lettuce, for garnish
- Sprinkle both sides of tuna steak with 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Lightly oil a large nonstick skillet or coat it with cooking spray. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles; add the tuna and cook until the underside is lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes, then turn and cook just until opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes longer. Remove from the pan and cool to room temperature.
- Shortly before serving, cut the tuna on the bias into 1/4-inch slices. Cut the red peppers into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange tuna and peppers on a serving plate. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then drizzle with the oil and lemon juice. Shave the cheese into thin slices with a vegetable peeler. Scatter the cheese and capers over the tuna and peppers. Serve with the bread alongside. Garnish with caper berries, lemon wedges and lettuce, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The tuna can be cooked (Step 1) up to 8 hours in advance. Cool to room temperature, wrap and refrigerate. Return to room temperature before continuing.
Per serving: 191 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value), source of omega-3 fats
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993