Antipasto of Seared Tuna & Roasted Peppers
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
Roasted red peppers, seared tuna and Parmesan cheese join together in this savory antipasto platter.
- 1 12-ounce tuna steak, (about 1 inch thick)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 2 8-ounce jars roasted red peppers, drained (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 2-ounce piece Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/2 loaf of French or Italian bread, thinly sliced
- Caper berries, lemon wedges and lettuce, for garnish
- Sprinkle both sides of tuna steak with 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Lightly oil a large nonstick skillet or coat it with cooking spray. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles; add the tuna and cook until the underside is lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes, then turn and cook just until opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes longer. Remove from the pan and cool to room temperature.
- Shortly before serving, cut the tuna on the bias into 1/4-inch slices. Cut the red peppers into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange tuna and peppers on a serving plate. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then drizzle with the oil and lemon juice. Shave the cheese into thin slices with a vegetable peeler. Scatter the cheese and capers over the tuna and peppers. Serve with the bread alongside. Garnish with caper berries, lemon wedges and lettuce, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The tuna can be cooked (Step 1) up to 8 hours in advance. Cool to room temperature, wrap and refrigerate. Return to room temperature before continuing.
Per serving: 191 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 1 g fiber; 686 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value), source of omega-3 fats
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993