From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Lemon zest enlivens the anise biscotti.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon anise seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, anise seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl and add to the dry ingredients; mix well.
- Shape the dough into two 14-by-1 1/2-inch logs on a floured surface. Set the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 38 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992