From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Lemon zest enlivens the anise biscotti.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon anise seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, anise seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl and add to the dry ingredients; mix well.
- Shape the dough into two 14-by-1 1/2-inch logs on a floured surface. Set the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 38 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992