From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Lemon zest enlivens the anise biscotti.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon anise seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, anise seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl and add to the dry ingredients; mix well.
- Shape the dough into two 14-by-1 1/2-inch logs on a floured surface. Set the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 38 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992