From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Lemon zest enlivens the anise biscotti.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon anise seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, anise seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl and add to the dry ingredients; mix well.
- Shape the dough into two 14-by-1 1/2-inch logs on a floured surface. Set the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 38 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992