From EatingWell: November/December 2008
Frances Van Vynckt, 78, combined dates, toasted rice cereal and coconut into an easy no-bake treat that won EatingWell's 2008 cookie contest.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates, (8 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups toasted rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Combine butter, sugar and dates in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the butter is melted, the sugar is no longer white and the dates are mostly melted, 8 to 15 minutes. The mixture should be a shiny, brown sticky mass. Remove from the heat.
- Add salt, vanilla, cereal and coconut; stir well to combine.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze and roll the mixture into 1-inch balls. Place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Storage smarts: To extend the life of your baked goods, store them in an airtight container in a single layer or between layers of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Per cookie: 52 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2008