From EatingWell: November/December 2008
Frances Van Vynckt, 78, combined dates, toasted rice cereal and coconut into an easy no-bake treat that won EatingWell's 2008 cookie contest.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates, (8 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups toasted rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Combine butter, sugar and dates in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the butter is melted, the sugar is no longer white and the dates are mostly melted, 8 to 15 minutes. The mixture should be a shiny, brown sticky mass. Remove from the heat.
- Add salt, vanilla, cereal and coconut; stir well to combine.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze and roll the mixture into 1-inch balls. Place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Storage smarts: To extend the life of your baked goods, store them in an airtight container in a single layer or between layers of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Per cookie: 52 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 15 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- November/December 2008