From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Sweet oranges, colorful kiwi and fresh coconut are mixed with a touch of sugar and sherry to provide a simple, satisfying end to a special meal.
- 12 large oranges
- 4 kiwi, peeled, halved and sliced
- 6 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau, or other orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup shredded or shaved fresh or dried unsweetened coconut, toasted (see box)
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- Cut the peel and white pith from the oranges with a sharp paring knife. Set a sieve over a bowl; working over the bowl, cut out the orange sections from between the membranes, allowing the sections to fall into the sieve (discard seeds). Squeeze the membranes to extract any remaining juice. Measure out 1/2 cup of the juice that has collected in the bowl and set aside. (Reserve the remainder for another use.)
- Arrange one-third of the orange sections in the bottom of a clear bowl and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Arrange half of the kiwi, then another third of the orange sections over top. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Top with the remaining orange sections and kiwi. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Combine sherry, orange liqueur and the reserved 1/2 cup orange juice in a small bowl. Pour over the fruit. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, garnish with toasted coconut and mint sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Per serving: 163 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 7 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 520 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (243% daily value), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1994