From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Sweet oranges, colorful kiwi and fresh coconut are mixed with a touch of sugar and sherry to provide a simple, satisfying end to a special meal.
- 12 large oranges
- 4 kiwi, peeled, halved and sliced
- 6 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau, or other orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup shredded or shaved fresh or dried unsweetened coconut, toasted (see box)
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- Cut the peel and white pith from the oranges with a sharp paring knife. Set a sieve over a bowl; working over the bowl, cut out the orange sections from between the membranes, allowing the sections to fall into the sieve (discard seeds). Squeeze the membranes to extract any remaining juice. Measure out 1/2 cup of the juice that has collected in the bowl and set aside. (Reserve the remainder for another use.)
- Arrange one-third of the orange sections in the bottom of a clear bowl and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Arrange half of the kiwi, then another third of the orange sections over top. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Top with the remaining orange sections and kiwi. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Combine sherry, orange liqueur and the reserved 1/2 cup orange juice in a small bowl. Pour over the fruit. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, garnish with toasted coconut and mint sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Per serving: 163 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 7 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 520 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (243% daily value), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- November/December 1994