From EatingWell: November/December 1994
Sweet oranges, colorful kiwi and fresh coconut are mixed with a touch of sugar and sherry to provide a simple, satisfying end to a special meal.
- 12 large oranges
- 4 kiwi, peeled, halved and sliced
- 6 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau, or other orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup shredded or shaved fresh or dried unsweetened coconut, toasted (see box)
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- Cut the peel and white pith from the oranges with a sharp paring knife. Set a sieve over a bowl; working over the bowl, cut out the orange sections from between the membranes, allowing the sections to fall into the sieve (discard seeds). Squeeze the membranes to extract any remaining juice. Measure out 1/2 cup of the juice that has collected in the bowl and set aside. (Reserve the remainder for another use.)
- Arrange one-third of the orange sections in the bottom of a clear bowl and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Arrange half of the kiwi, then another third of the orange sections over top. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Top with the remaining orange sections and kiwi. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Combine sherry, orange liqueur and the reserved 1/2 cup orange juice in a small bowl. Pour over the fruit. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, garnish with toasted coconut and mint sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Per serving: 163 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 7 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 520 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (243% daily value), Folate (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994